Montag, 11. Februar 2008

Narrative Musical Wallpaper


Live mix: Feb. 10, 2008

And so, finally - here's the second mix from my "HCE" series. It's a rather airy and flutey affair with some noisy excursions, inspired by episodes from Master Francis Rabelais' fantastic and preposterous epic "Five Books of the Lives, Heroic Deeds and Sayings of Gargantua and his Son Pantagruel".

You will find Takemitsu and Feldman here, a nice ditty by Aphex Twin spiced up with the voice of Aleister Crowley, a piece by electronic pioneer Franca Sacchi from Italy, a lengthy Sho solo by Mayumi Miyata and some perfectly static Gamelan music from Java. All glued together and modelled with music & sounds from me.

The first segment is structured after and uses samples from Peter Szöke's "The Unknown Music Of Birds". On this LP, the Hungarian musico-ornithologist reveals hidden aspects of birdsong via tape-manipulation. Fascinating. I'll post it in the "Closet of Curiosities" soon.

Enjoy the journey.

By the way: listener feedback is welcome and appreciated. If you downloaded the first mix, "Malachus Micgranes Teahouse #1", please leave a comment - how you liked it, and whatnot.

8 Kommentare:

Geoff hat gesagt…

Thanks for this one, hope you get more comments. You efforts are appreciated

Unknown hat gesagt…

I really dig those mixes you've done. I've been listening to it on headhones in the subway, as well as on my hi-fi set, with great pleasure whatsoever. Totally dreamy and ear-catching ambient music thanks to various interesting sounds (the sho is great, the Feldman piano is beautiful) and a very clever mix. Great!
continuo.wordpress.com

H. C. Earwicker hat gesagt…

Wow, two comments! Thanks, Geoff & Tony.

Wouldn't it be a nice idea to play something like this on trains, via a PA system?

I was surprised how well Feldman's "Why Patterns?" fit into the mix.

BTW, I'm continously looking for pieces to use in my mixes, especially pieces with voices & songs. So if you got any suggestions, please post them here in the comments section.

admin hat gesagt…

Oh good gracious! Wonderful mixes, I must say! Keep up the work, I`ll be following this blog from now on :) You are always welcome to use my music on the mixes, that`d be awesome. Oh yes, I put some new stuff on my blog aswell. And the picture on a better resolution as you requested. Enjoy!

The Cosmic Farmer hat gesagt…

Beautiful mixes - thank you!

Makz hat gesagt…

Ow, the mix is down...can you re-up please, so I can complete my collection of your wonderful efforts...

Makz hat gesagt…

Hi! Yesterday I was listening to music from my extended collection in 'shuffle mode' when I came across Six Scenic Mixes For "Sylvie and Bruno"

I thoroughly enjoyed that, but it also reminded me - again - that there was still 1 of your mixes missing from my collection, namely the one posted above.

More than 3 years ago, I left you a message hoping for a possible re-upload, but I visited your blog a few times over the last years, and every time I checked, the link was still 'down'.

Is there any way in which I can still download How The Birds Of The Ringing Island Were All Passengers?

Max Delissen hat gesagt…

Well, Rapidshare has been taken down by the Download Police since I last begged you for a new upload of this mix. Fat chance of ever getting it now, I suppose...

If you do visit your own blog someday, and if you see this message and take pity in the poor music lover that is me, please reply to this outcry, or contact me through my own blog called 'De Nachtkaars'.

You may find it here: http://denachtkaars.blogspot.nl