Freitag, 5. September 2008

Look Eastward! Aye, look Eastward!



Lewis Carroll Mixes, Vol. 2

1 Chapter 23: An Outlandish Watch
2 Chapter 24: The Frogs' Birthday-Treat
3 Chapter 25: Looking Eastward

***
For the second volume in this series, I put a few extra hours into preparing a few loops and "solo" material. Especially the first two parts feature some intricate detail-work and delicate juxtapositions. "The Frogs' Birthday-Treat" is indeed a rather playful treat, with its meandering xylophone and electronic beats & bleeps in the middle section. In "Looking Eastward", I let the single tracks play out more for themselves, dissolving into a calm and peaceful end.

***
Featured artists and musical sources

Nick Drake, a musical clockwork, Markus Guentner, John Cage, Klaus Schulze, Rhythm and Sound, Burial, FOEhN, Sibil (Alonso & Bartomeu Carceres), more John Cage, Joanna Newsom, Jacques Dudon, Tanzania: Wagogo Entertainment Music, komet, The Penguin Café Orchestra, Jacula, This Heat, Marilyn Crispell, Gary Peacock, Conrad Schnitzler, FOEhN, Syd Barrett, Alia Musica/Miguel Sanchez (Bestiario De Cristo)

***
"Aye, look Eastward! ... The West is the fitting tomb for all the sorrow and the sighing, all the errors and the follies of the Past: for all its withered Hopes and all its buried Loves! From the East comes new strength, new ambition, new Hope, new Life, new Love! Look Eastward! Aye, look Eastward!"

His last words were still ringing in my ears as I entered my room, and undrew the window-curtains, just in time to see the sun burst in glory from his ocean-prison, and clothe the world in the light of a new day.

...

"Fading, with the Night, the memory of a dead love, and the withered leaves of a blighted hope, and the sickly repinings and moody regrets that numb the best energies of the soul: and rising, broadening, rolling upward like a living flood, the manly resolve, and the dauntless will, and the heavenward gaze of faith--the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen!"
"Look Eastward! Aye, look Eastward!"

from: "Sylvie and Bruno" by Lewis Carroll, Chapter 25 (conclusion)

12 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

what an excellent concept, i look forward to exploring this and volume1 in depth as i take my afternoon tea.....

Anonym hat gesagt…

My first experience with your new mix was on headphones in a commuter train. The music was relaxing, so much so that the train seamed to glide effortlessly on the tracks. I felt really good listening to those shoe-gazing atmospheres, my mind drifting away nicely.
But when listened to at home, I found the choice of music too much on the mellow side for my tastes. I miss the sonic adventures of some of your previous mixes. A little more surprises would have win me over -- like some ethnic excerpts from your Closet of Curiosity blog, for instance. I noticed you added some of your own electronic loops and drones here and there which is fine but they are on the same wavelength as the featured artists here. There is a chance you are beginning to repeat yourself since you now master the art of ambient mixing. May I suggest you should consider challenging yourself with totally different music samples?

H. C. Earwicker hat gesagt…

Thanks for the comments, Anonymous + Continuo. Well, yes - maybe I tend ro repeat myself, although there are some new techniques in this mix which may not be obvious to the listener, but are pointing me in new directions. I guess we'll find out.

UMOR hat gesagt…

很特別的博客,雖然我還不確定這是什麽風格趨向的音樂,不過仍然感謝您的分享:)))THANKS!!

H. C. Earwicker hat gesagt…

Thanks to you, too, Umor. If only I could read what you're writing ;-)

Anyway - you got a nice blog yourself there; some fine Old Music, though the downloads are a little on the slow side. You should consider using a service like Sharebee.com

admin hat gesagt…

Hello again mr. Earwicker:) I must say as response to your comment, it all sounds very good. And I`m looking forth to it! Tell me, could I have your e-mail add? Would be nice to talk with you more! Heres mine; tapio_oksa@yahoo.com


Bless!

Hive Mind Holy Shroud hat gesagt…

interesting to find you
you wake lover you
come listen
http://autistictheater.blogspot.com

icastico hat gesagt…

Resplendent. thanks.

Captain Chelicerate hat gesagt…

I just discovered these mixes, gonna work my way backwards through 'em. This one is great, magical, thanks!

the alien life form hat gesagt…

Be careful, to travel eastward is to travel back in time and there are no limits in that direction. Travel north and sooner or later every direction is south. The greeks believed that the land of hyporean existed beyond the north wind as well, this was like the irish isle of the blessed, or all golden, where all was youth, joy and dancing and that in turn was always considered westward.
I am suspect of creation myths
in hobo slang to ride the westbound means to die. The south tends to be associated with borders and chaos - 'to go south" means to suffer a loss as in a chart where the line dips down.
but the east I am unfamilar with - it is a strange attractor leading into a labyrinth, an inside out spiral - look up schillinger and get back to me, humphrey do not lose your way

and may you haveth childreth everywhere


ALF - (not ALP)

Maddie hat gesagt…

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about a broken link on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

Thanks!

Madison
maddie0147@gmail.com

xyore hat gesagt…

Amazing Post
Most Famous Quotes
XYORE